“True style is not about having a closet full of expensive and beautiful things – it is instead about knowing when, where and how to utilise your collection” – `Nina Garcia
So on that note, this post will be all on “How to dress for your body type”. This is what most females struggle with when it comes to shopping. In this blog post i will not explain to you how you can hide your flaws or make yourself look skinnier or taller, but rather tips on how you can embrace your body type, so that you can feel great in the clothes that you have.
We are all unique and beautiful, and the first step is to determine your body shape:
- INVERTED TRIANGLE
So now that you have your shape, lets start.
This is when you have a slimmer lower body and carry most weight around your middle. For this shape it is best to highlight your best features, so the idea is to elongate your torso and show off your legs.
- Short skirts to show off the legs and to try and take away attention from your midsection.
- Wear low waisted straight pants to avoid stomach bulge and to create an even shape from your chest to your legs.
- Wearing belts at the smallest part of your waist or wearing empire tops or dresses to create the illusion of a waist.
- V-neck tops or dresses will make your torso appear longer.
Pear shape body is when you carry weight on your bottom half, yes ladies this means your body is shaped like the celebrities, Kim Kardashian and Beyonce. If your body is pear shaped, it is best to find clothing items that fit your waist and your hips.
- Accentuate the top half of your body, by wearing slim, fitted tops.
- Balancing it out is key. Try wearing wide leg pants or skirts.
- A line skirts or dresses will emphasise your upper body keeping your bottom half looking slim.
- Structured pants that fits nicely are great for the pear shape body. Stay away from loose fitted pants and funky pockets.
This is probably the shape we all want, perfectly proportioned shoulders and hips with a tiny waist. Your best assets is your curves! Show them off.
- Emphasise your waist, belted jackets and crop tops.
- High waisted skirts and pants are your best friends.
- Don’t hide your curves by wearing baggy clothing, if you don’t like tight tops try a soft lightweight tops.
- Wrap dresses is a must.
This shape is when your hips, shoulders and waist is similar in size, your best assets is your arms and legs. And the key is to create a curves and show of your arms and legs.
- Crop tops and skirt sets is a great outfit for this shape.
- Wear belts to define your mid section.
- Try layering to create dimension.
- Colours, ruffles and details.
- Try long coats or jackets for a clean look.
Otherwise known as the Wedge style, this is when your shoulders are broad and your waist and hips slim. Your legs are your best assets and the goal is to show them off by accentuating them and softening your upper body and shoulders.
- Wide leg pants or anything high waisted to make your legs appear longer.
- Try outfits that creates the illusion of a waist.
- Don’t wear boat neckline tops or dresses.
- Strapless is also not a good idea, unless you feel your arms and shoulders are your best assets.
- Anything tight and fitting to create shape will give you a beautiful silhouette
At the end of the day it is all about feeling good and being comfortable in your own skin, as a fashion design student i have learned that the fabric plays a role in the style, high quality fabric is a must, because it will fit and sit in the right places to create a silhouette.
Don’t be afraid to try something new, step out off your comfort zone and show off your best assets.
Follow me on Instagram: @stylesbyyolandi